Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Strange Blessings

Today has been the most stressful day I have had in a very long time.  Battle after battle.  Frustration upon frustration.  Hurt upon hurt.  Today, I put up my fighting gloves and jumped in the ring with several opponents.  I have ricocheted between the ropes and my muscles ache.  Really ache.

Tension and frustration, however, have resolved to compromise and understanding.  I have met with allies to rally with me.  I have taken action and it has resulted in positive change.

I know today what Paul was talking about when he said, "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed" (2 Cor 4:8-9 TNIV).

So at the close of this difficult day, I find myself strangely blessed.  God has entrusted me with three unique, amazing boys.  I am the mom for them.  Chosen.  Affirmed.  Right.  God has joined me with a life partner who is truly the other side of me.  We are perfectly (I am trying not to use this word, but it is absolutely right) fit for each other.  Needed.  Loved.  Offered.  Received.  One.

These two are enough.  And yet tonight I treasured a long, luxurious bath and moments of quiet.  And in these sacred spaces I find that I have everything.  My life is nothing like I ever imagined it would be.  It is so much more.  Complex.  Diverse.  Challenging.  Full.  Settled.  Free.

Indeed, I "have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us" (2 Cor 4:7, TNIV).

It is all strangely welcome.  Blessings.



1 comment:

Kara said...

While your trials are vague, I love how perfectly concrete your blessings are. You name them for us and I am so thankful for those men, big and little, in your life. I thank the Lord for all good things!

Praying for you, my friend.