Friday, June 27, 2008

Contentment

Contentment. Not my middle name. In fact, I find myself constantly looking around the corner for change and newness. I am an unsettled person, yet I long to find joy and peace in the present. I often fool myself into believing that those blessings are just around the corner, and that I will experience them when I am finally situatied in the right circumstances.

I have a feeling contentment was not part of Apostle Paul's identity either. He was a mover and a shaker. He was a get-it-done guy. Passion and drive make contentment difficult to experience. "I have learned to be content" (Phil 4:11b) is Paul's confession of faith. "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation" (Phil 4:12b). And the secret is this: "I can do all this through him who gives me strength" (Phil 4:13).

The "all things" to be done through the strength of Jesus is not my list of desired accomplishments or my agenda for success (even successful ministry). Instead, the gift of strength is for contentment. At least for those like Paul and like me who have to strong-arm our restlessness into contentment.

I am glad to know I am in good company. I am even happier to know that there is hope for my restless condition. I look forward to contentment. Ah! Alas! The moment is NOW!

No comments: